Ah, the confusion. The terms SEM (search engine marketing) and SEO (search engine optimization) are often used interchangeably. They are in fact different but closely related. The key digital marketing objectives for both SEM and SEO are to be found by potential customers and then to be acted on. Today’s savvy digital marketers must employ both to achieve marketing success.
What Is SEO and What Does It Include?
Let’s start with the “foundation,” SEO. SEO simply refers to the non-paid or “organic” means of increasing the number of website visitors by getting the site to appear high on the results of a search engine. SEO includes:
- Incorporating keywords into title tags, meta descriptions and heading tags of your website.
- Including keywords into website page copy and blog posts and ensuring that the content is of high quality.
- Properly formatting page URLs
- Optimizing website and pages load speed.
- Integrating social sharing with website content.
What Is SEM and What Does It Include?
SEM refers largely to the promotion of website results and increased search traffic through paid advertising; buying PPC (pay-per-click) ads that display on search engine results pages through Google Ads, Bing Ads and other search engines.
Both SEM and SEO work together. Organic SEO efforts will take longer to show results but create stronger credibility than PPC advertising. Put them both together and you have “search marketing.”
Hints to Succeed with Search Marketing
- Do solid keyword research.
- Structure your website with a clear keyword hierarchy.
- Use simple URLs that include keywords.
- Hire writers to create great content.
- Use landing pages.
- Set an effective budget for SEM.
- Market consistently.
Seek Expert Digital Marketing Assistance for Your Search Marketing Efforts
Contact Connectly Marketing, located in the Baton Rouge, LA area for the help you need to increase your online presence and overall digital visibility. We’ll help craft the custom digital advertising methods and both SEO and SEM means to help you succeed.